Friday, September 24, 2010

Four days, for real

Bureaucracy inaction!  My departure date's been pushed back to Tuesday.  Leaving for Ukraine on Wednesday.  I was kind of upset about it at first, but apparently this happened to about half of our group, and I also realized it gave me another weekend of football.  So I'm OK with it now.
I finished packing yesterday.  I'm taking a big roller suitcase, a duffel bag, and 2 backpacks--my school backpack (the standard North Face backpack that just about every college student has) and my Osprey internal frame backpack, which has served me well through a summer in Colorado and countless backcountry trips in both GA and CO.  I can't believe it's in such good condition as it is.
Anyway, I have a lot to do still.  I need to scan copies of all my important documents and put them on my jump drive or email them to me.  And eat some Thai food.

Recommended viewing for anyone, but especially Group 40ers:

Sorry, I don't know how to embed.  Whatever I do results in a large block of HTML instead of a video.

May-or-may-not-be-actual Ukrainian Army commercial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4a01PpeoK8&feature=player_embedded

Ukraine is game to you?!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzLtF_PxbYw&feature=player_embedded

Eastern Promises
Cronenberg's crime thriller about the Russian mafia in London.  Starring Naomi Watts and Viggo Mortensen.  Great movie (and I have it on my hard drive now)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq_M8EOC4zA&feature=player_embedded

3 comments:

  1. Whoa, 2 backpacks? I'm bringing my old speedo swim backpack, not my standard-college-student-north-face one because my peer advisor told me that it is not common for teachers to carry backpacks to school on a daily basis. I decided that I'd rather have a large purse or something since backpacks are easy to pickpocket while on trains and buses. But maybe the hiking backpack will be useful if you travel around a lot, I thought about getting one but they are expensive :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, they're pretty overpriced in my opinion, but I've had one for a few years since I do a lot of hiking and whatnot out the backcountry. Maybe I should have gotten a man purse. From my experience, they're a big hit in Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course. I'm sure you can find a great selection of man purses there, they're also super posh in southeast Asia... I've seen guys who actually carry 2 purses at once!

    ReplyDelete