Tuesday, May 31, 2011

NBA playoffs

So this is obviously unconnected to Ukraine or Peace Corps or my current life.  Just thought I'd share something American-sports related.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?page=wilbon/110530

I understand the sentiments behind this article, but I simply don't see how LeBron is single-handedly responsible for the NBA's boost this season.  Granted, his prima donna antics have generated some interest and plenty of haters (can't say that I'm a fan).  And I think the Heat are the team America loves to hate for these playoffs.  But I think the major factor driving the NBA's boost this season is the new competitive nature.  The last 2 finals had the same 2 dominant teams play each other, Los Angeles and Boston.  That's great and interesting if you're from California or Massachusetts, or if you're a bandwagoner like one of my college roommates (he was from Chattanooga, Tennessee, and his favorite pro teams were the Yankees, the Colts, and the Lakers).  But it's kinda boring when even though your team makes the playoffs, no one thinks they have a snowball's chance in hell (and they don't...Atlanta). 
But this year, the mighty Lakers fell in humiliating fashion, in the end to Phil Jackson's distinguished career and possibly Kobe's.  Everyone brakes to gawk at a car accident.  The Celtics were out early as well, opening the door for new teams, and a new level of competitiveness.  Basketball leagues are always, I think, more likely to be top-heavy than other leagues because the teams are smaller--it's easier to get a lineup of superstars and have a dynasty.  But now we have a multi-polar world in the NBA.  And I think that's what is driving the boost in ratings.

No comments:

Post a Comment